o

AFKAR

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Saddam, Again...

Like Rabid beasts, two "civilized" Iraqi Politicians debate the legitimacy of the excution of Saddam Houssein. They start of course by the name calling and then comes the inevitable scene when one of them, or both, leave the set. One calls the other, a persian spy, a safawi, and the other barks out some names that I did not comrehend, given the choas.The ironi is one of them is a member in a party called "المصالحة والتحرير", the party of reconciliation and liberation. He spoke about the shia, and I am one of them, using very provocative and demeaning way; I was definitely offended.I do not understand how the so-called cream of the crop in Iraq are supposed to achieve the so-called reconliation if they are at such a level of ignorance and hate (a civil war mixture).

As a Muslim,Shia and Arab, I denounce the timing and the way of the execution of Saddam and I blame both Shia and Sunni's in Iraq for the escalation that will follow. I had a feeling of shame and helplessness, just like the feeling I had when the announced the fall of Baghdad not so long back. It drives me mad that the Iraqis have not learnt from us, lebanese.

I would still want to see him dead, but why not finish the other trials, the mass murder of the Kurds using chemical weapons for example. Maybe the cover would have been blown, showing the American involvement in many of those murders. The chemical agents were ordered "by phone" from the US at the time when Saddam the the US #1 man.

Until ignorance and hate cease to be the dominant feeling on the streets of Iraq, I do not see how things can get any better.

Also, click here for some of when Robert Fisk had to say about all this mess.



2 Comments:

At 8:56 PM, Blogger Ibn Bint Jbeil said...

yes hamze, hate and ignorance perpetuate the violence, but they will not end suddenly and by themselves. there are other factors that are themselves perpetuating the fear and ignorance, which create hate, which results in violence, which gives rebirth to hate and fear..

these factors have to do with greed, power, lust and the narrow interests of internal and external forces.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Living Away said...

Sometimes I got myself questioning why I blame the USA for being involved in almost all the atrocities around the world.
However, it’s almost impossible to not blame this country that doesn’t have any respect for any country’s autonomy and sovereignty whatsoever.

Once again Hamze, thanks for your post!
Wishing you all the best in 2007.

Leandra

 

Post a Comment

<< Home